Chief Master Sergeant Alan G. Boling is the Command Chief Master Sergeant, Eighth Air Force, Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana. He is responsible to the commander for the operational utilization, readiness, assignment, morale and welfare or more than 16,000 active-duty, Air National Guard and Reserve professionals. "The Mighty Eighth" is comprised of five expeditionary wings that provide nuclear and conventional bomber support to Air Force Global Strike Command and Air Forces Strategic (AFSTRAT), the warfighting air-component to U.S. Strategic Command. The NAF also includes the 595th Command and Control Group, which maintains and operates the E-4B, the service's airborne nuclear C2 platform.
Chief Boling was raised near Concordia, Kansas, and entered the service in 1989. Following Basic Military Training he attended the Communications Computer Systems Operators Course at Keesler AFB, Mississippi. His first assignment was under Strategic Air Command and later US Strategic Command where he worked as a World Wide Military Command and Control Systems operator at Offutt AFB, Nebraska. Chief Boling was reassigned to Yokota Air Base, Japan, as an Automatic Digital Network Switching Center Supervisor. This assignment was followed by two special duties, the first as an instructor for the 333rd Training Squadron, Keesler AFB, Mississippi, then as the J3 Chief of Automation for Headquarters Alaskan Command. From Elmendorf he joined the Flying Tigers of the 23rd Wing at Moody AFB, Georgia, and served two tours with the 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing Red-Tails, Balad AB, Iraq, followed by an assignment to Kunsan AB, Korea, with the 8th Fighter Wing, Wolf Pack. He was reassigned to Elmendorf and held positions as the Communication Squadron and Mission Support Group Superintendent. He then served as Headquarters Commandant, US Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Nebraska. Before assuming his current position, he served as the Command Chief for the 65th Air Base Wing, Lajes Field, Azores as well as the Command Chief for the 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Ca.
1992 Strategic Air Command Airman Leadership School, Offutt AFB, Neb.
1999 Air Education and Training Command NCO Academy, Keesler AFB, Miss.
1999 Associate degree Information Systems Management, Community College of the Air Force 2000 Associate degree Instructor in Technology, Community College of the Air Force
2004 USAF Senior NCO Academy, Gunter Annex Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Chief Master Sergeant Leadership Course, Gunter Annex Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 USAF Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia 2014 USAF Leadership Enhancement Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, NC 2015 AFSO21 Executive Leaders Course, University of Tennessee’s Haslam College of Business 2016 Keystone Senior Leader Course, Washington D.C.
1. Jan 1989 - Feb 1989, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. Feb 1989 - Apr 1989, Communications Computer Systems Course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
3. Apr 1989 - Jan 1995, World-Wide Military Command and Control Systems Operator, Offutt AFB, Neb.
4. Jan 1995 - Jan 1998, AUTODIN Switching Center Crew Supervisor, Yokota AB, Japan
5. Jan 1998 - Apr 2002, Instructor, Communications Computer System Administration, Keesler AFB, Miss.
6. Apr 2002 - Jul 2005, Manager, Joint Operations, Plans and Policy, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
7. Jul 2005 - Dec 2007, Superintendent, Information Systems Flight, Moody AFB, Ga.
8. Aug 2005 - Jan 2006, Superintendent, 332d Communications Squadron Balad AB, Iraq
9. May 2007 – Oct 2007, Superintendent, Information Systems Flight, Balad AB Iraq
10. Dec 2007 - Dec 2008, Superintendent, Operations Flight, 8th Communications Squadron, Kunsan AB, Korea
11. Dec 2008 - Apr 2010, Superintendent, 3rd Communication Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
12. Apr 2010 - Oct 2011, Superintendent, 673rd Mission Support Group, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
13. Nov 2011 - Apr 2013, Commandant U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
14. Apr 2013 – Aug 2014, Command Chief, 65th Air Base Wing, Lajes Field, Azores
15. Sep 2014 – June 2016, Command Chief, 60th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Ca.
16. July 2016 – Present, Command Chief, 8th Air Force, Barksdale AFB, La.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with a silver leaf cluster Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
National Defense Service Medal with one star Iraq Campaign Medal with one star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal Korean Defense Service Medal
1992 Distinguished Graduate, Airman Leadership School, Offutt AFB, Neb. 1999 Distinguished Graduate, NCO Academy, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2001 SNCO Instructor of the Year, 81st Training Group, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2002 Communications and Information SNCO of the Year, HQ US Pacific Command 2004 Distinguished Graduate, USAF SNCO Academy
2004 James M. McCoy Academic Achievement Award, USAF SNCO Academy 2004 SNCO of the Year, HQ Alaskan Command, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
2006 Communications and Information SNCO of the Year, 23rd Wing, Moody AFB, Ga.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Staff Sergeant 01 Jun 1995
Technical Sergeant 01 Jul 1998
Master Sergeant 01 Jul 2001
Senior Master Sergeant 01 Mar 2005
Chief Master Sergeant 01 Oct 2008
(Current as of Oct 17)