Colonel Bridget McNamara is the Vice Commander, Eighth Air Force, Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana. As a Numbered Air Force of Air Force Global Strike Command, Eighth Air Force provides long-range strike and strategic deterrence to combatant commanders worldwide. “The Mighty Eighth” oversees five bomb wings and a command and control operations group, comprised of the Air Force’s B-1, B-2 and B-52 bomber forces and E-4B aircraft.
Colonel McNamara is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, and the USAF Weapons School. Her career includes operational flying assignments in the B-1B Lancer, several combat deployments in support of overseas contingency operations, and two tours as a legislative liaison. She has held leadership positions at the squadron, group, wing, numbered Air Force, major command, Headquarters US Air Force, and combatant command levels. Prior to this role, she served as the Director, Joint-Global Strike Operations Center, Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana.
1996 Bachelor of Science, Biology, University of Notre Dame
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
2004 U.S. Air Force Weapons School
2010 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
2012 Defense Technology Seminar, Massachusetts Institute of Technology/Lincoln Laboratory
2016 Master of Strategic Studies, US Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania
2018 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Alan L. Freed Associates Inc, Washington D.C.
2020 Combined Air and Space Operations Senior Staff Course, Hurlburt Field, Florida
1. July 1996 - February 1997, Special Assistant to the Commander, Gold Bar recruiting program, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana
2. February 1997 - May 1998, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Sheppard AFB Texas
3. May 1998 - March 1999, Student, B-1 Initial Qualification Course, 28th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB Texas
4. March 1999 - June 2001, B-1 pilot and Chief, Squadron Scheduling, 34th Bomb Squadron, Mountain Home AFB Idaho
5. June 2001 - December 2003, B-1 instructor pilot and Chief, Squadron Training, 77th and 34th Bomb Squadrons, Ellsworth AFB South Dakota
6. January 2004 - June 2004, Student, B-1 Division, USAF Weapons School, 77th Weapons Squadron, Dyess AFB Texas
7. July 2004 - June 2005, B-1 instructor pilot and Chief, Squadron Weapons and Tactics, 34th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB Texas
8. June 2005 - June 2008, B-1 Weapons Instructor Course (WIC) Instructor Pilot and Assistant Director of Operations, 77th Weapons Squadron, Dyess AFB Texas
9. June 2008 - July 2009, Deputy Director of Staff, 7th Bomb Wing, Dyess AFB Texas
10. July 2009 - June 2010, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB Alabama
11. July 2010 - June 2011, Chief, Bomber Aircraft and Nuclear Programs, Weapon Systems Liaison Division, Office of Legislative Liaison, Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2011 - July 2012, Deputy Division Chief, Weapon Systems Liaison Division, Office of Legislative Liaison, Secretary of the Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2012- May 2013, Senior Executive Officer to the Assistant Chief of Staff, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
14. June 2013 - June 2015, Commander, 21st Student Squadron, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB Alabama
15. July 2015 - June 2016, Student, US Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania
16. June 2016- July 2018, Director, Legislative Affairs, US Central Command, the Pentagon, Washington D.C.
17. July 2018 - July 2020, Commander, 422d Air Base Group, Royal Air Force Croughton, England
18. July 2020 – March 2022, Director, Joint Global Strike Operations Center, Headquarters Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, Louisiana
19. March 2022 – Present, Vice Commander, Eighth Air Force, Barksdale AFB, Louisiana
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2016-July 2018, Director, Legislative Affairs, US Central Command, the Pentagon, Washington D.C., as a Colonel (frocked)
2. July 2020-March 2022, Director, Joint Global Strike Operations Center, Barksdale AFB, LA, as a Colonel
Rating: Senior Pilot
Flight hours: Nearly 2400, 630 in combat
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, B-1B
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit, 1 oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal, 5 oak leaf clusters Air Medal, 2 oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal, 1 oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal, 2 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor, 4 oak leaf clusters
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
(Current as of March 2022)